Saturday 10 January 2009

Out With The Old Inter The New

Ever since the birth of Electronic Games magazine there’s been reviews, reports and criticisms of games, new companies under different names have entered the arena doing the same things for years, maybe this is the problem.

The bringing of the internet has seen many things change in the world. Communication, finance, shopping, advertising and so on. Now while this has an up for most people it has or still can put out the older methods that people have used or relied on for years, human ‘creativity’ for you. The NGJ is internet based, so apart from being easier to get and by the way cheaper there’s a personalised side to them. Now I’ve bought game magazines for years but just recently discovered NGJ and one big noticeable difference I can tell between the two is that there is a distinct border line. The magazines seem to focus on the games whereas people doing NGJ’s, well they add a personal touch to it. You get the dish on the games from them but you also get the gamers point of view , you can connect with them, it’s not just some person whose been told to play a game and give feed back ..... Boring.

From what I’ve read off the links to me the magazines are failing because they live in corrupt world. Their told what they have to write about, what their allowed to research, all controlled by the money men, the guys who fill their pockets with the big note whilst the readers get the loose change. They tighten budgets to save money, restrict working hours on magazines so not a lot of good stuff goes into them and personally I think the only reason (conspiracy wise) that the game ranking system exists is to encourage people to buy the latest games meaning more money for, guess who, the money men.

I can only imagine they’ll get worse with sales plummeting against NGJ’S growing in popularity. Thing I prefer about NGJ’s is they explain things in my language as if they actually speaking to me as a person that to me is the most single and key unique feature to me which is making them out best magazines. I can right like that, I find it more compelling against what seems to be puppet talk in Magazines.

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=693

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62798

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/game_culture/2005/03/ten_unmissable_examples_of_new_games_journalism.html

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=3

http://shinyshinyshiny.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_shinyshinyshiny_archive.html

No comments: