Saturday 10 January 2009

Tools in Play


From the first game we had a controller to play it, though one of the web links shows pong to have the first controller it was tennis for two actually that started it off. They may have only been block with dials and buttons but that’s a controller isn’t it, if it controls something it’s a controller, same in life just different principles.
Over the years though controllers have come in all shapes and sizes, some more awkward to use than others. Every time there’s been a new games system released a new, more improved in performance controller has come out with it, in cases this is true in others it’s been a letdown. We had a thing of increasing buttons on a controller to decreasing them again, a load of ups and downs really.

I can’t say I have an opinion on how the older controllers like the SNEZ and N64 handled, though i did use the them once or twice my history doesn’t show me into gaming fully till much later in my life. The more modern ones I can comment on though. Listing through them all they all have good points but also have faults. Nintendo for instance. The Game boys, for me, wore my tips out pressing low risen buttons against plastic where as the GameCube’s, though many people complained of this controller, worked for me except after constant use of the second analogue stick, that was saw. Xbox was huge I always insulted the sheer size of the thing saying it was impractical. The play stations problem for me was its unneeded shape; to me it made a challenge of reaching buttons. But even with the insults I could still comfortably play with these controllers.

Now days I’ve got the Wii and 360 remotes to juggle, and may I say wireless controllers are a blessing, never pulling over your console with fear of breaking it... oh heaven. Over the two I’d chose the 360 due the fact that all the buttons are in reaching distance, you don’t have to grow another thumb to press the Y button, and it fits comfortably in your hands. The Wii though wireless is again awkward. The length of the remote make hard work to press button and having to aim the controller at the sensor whilst trying to shoot someone to death is a cup of tea.

But this is how things are develop isn’t it. We make, we play, and we progress. Though the controller will be around for some time to come in my mind but the next step to going wireless and controller free I think is in the hands, play games with movements of our hands, like gate control in Zion in The Matrix.

No comments: